Friday, November 03, 2006

Christian Pumpkins

This is a note from my friend Leslie here at work. I think it's very appropriate and timely--for me anyway.


Okay...I know it is not Halloween and the title of my email, Christian Pumpkins, is way wierd...but it is what came to mind when I read this morning's bible verse passage...I am reading in Galatians..I am reading a chapter each morning. Today was Chapter 2.

Gal. 2:20 "I have been crucified with Christ. I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave himself for me."

That made me think that we are pumpkins. We are living....the world scoops us out and carves us up and leaves us feeling pretty hopeless, misused and abused, and worthless. But that dying, carved, empty pumpkin lives again. A candle is placed inside..filling all of the pumpkin with light...and showering it's light to all the world through the holes in the pumpkin....the pumpkin lives again...for a greater purpose..not just living for and by itself...but living because of the light inside and for the purpose of shining that light on all the world.


So it is with us....all the scars and holes left in our hearts...and bodies....that doesn't matter...those are not what makes us broken...but little windows God uses to shine His light through us. We die to what we were....God loves us and takes us for His purpose and plants himself inside us like a glowing candle....He fills us up and shines through all of our holes. Isn't that cool?

And how comforting is it to think that all of my holes are not holes at all...but windows :-) beautiful carvings to be used by God. There may be something to this word we use Holy....it is possible at least that those with holes...holes that God uses to shine through....those are Holy ones...and those without any breaks at all..who've never had anything carve a chunk out of them and do not allow light to shine through...are Unholy....the very word Holy would suggest one with holes...the adjective describing one having holes, right? :-)

A little food for thought this morning.

Hope you each have a wonderful day. Thanks for letting me ramble on and share :-)

Leslie
****
My friend Leslie is a wise woman.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will never look at a pumpkin the same way. What a wonderful observation!! Love, Dorian